Monday, December 20, 2010

Repurposed art projects for the library

My little sister is an elementary school teacher and last Friday I went to her school to help out with their holiday party and to read to her students.  She happens to work at this really interesting school in Atlanta that has adopted the international baccalaureat programme and I am continually blown away by the wonderful things they are doing, both in the classroom and school-wide.  Anyway, I am only mentioning this because she pulled me into the teachers lounge while the kids were out at lunch to show me this wonderful craft that the students had been working on for an upcoming fundraiser.  I thought that they were so wonderful that I would share them with you all!

Unfortunately, these pictures don't accurately reflect the size of these works, but they are all about four feet in width and maybe two and a half or three feet in height.  The students painted pre-cut plywood and then glued plastic lids of all shapes and sizes on the top of the wood to create beautiful wall hangings.  My personal favorite is the whale (which my sister's class happened to do) and I included a photo of one that was still in progress so that you all could get a better idea of how they come toghether.  Anyway, I thought that this was an adorable, and affordable way to spruce up the physical space at your library, and if you do fundrasing auctions, I've been told they sell well!




1 comments:

Anne Mingeau said...

Wonderful!
Here in France, we have a small device that enables to assemble the different caps without glue or painted pre-cut plywood: it's a small claw that clips two lids together without danger for the children.
This claw is made out of the very plasic bottle lids: they are melt down and then molded into those claws that enable to assemble two caps together.
In France, we collect these plastic caps to donate to associations who sell them for recycling: a way for them to provide wheelchairs to handicapped people.
The other point of these claws is to make children aware of plastic pollution-particularly in the seas- and the point of recycling.
If you want to know more about these claws, please get in touch.
Kind regards
Anne Mingeau
contact@adoptezuneordure.fr